Assignment III: Single client/systems research paper (10% of final grade) Revised Instructions
From Course Syllabus Semester/Year/Rm:
For this assignment students are to work in pairs in submitting a hypothetical evaluation of an intervention utilizing single client/systems research designs. A brief 5-7 page paper plus references (5 – 7) is the length required for this assignment. Students will select the class-mate to work with in completing the assignment. The following sections are required:
1. Identify and briefly discuss the intervention to be utilized with the client. Use at least two references from the literature to identify and support the intervention that you have selected to evaluate for its effectiveness utilizing single-case evaluation designs.
The intervention could be based on a theoretical perspective, practice model or framework. Examples of interventions may include, but are not limited to: assertive case management including application of social work roles and problem-solving method in direct practice (Rose & Moore), crisis intervention theory (Parad & Parad, Ell, Golan), cognitive-behavioral (Skinnerian, Watson, Payne); ego-and development psychology as in Eriksonian models; psychodynamic (Freudian); rational-emotive therapy (RET) (Ellis); client-centered (Rogers); Gestalt (Hale, Perls); Family-systems-communication interventions (Ackerman, Bateson, Bowen, Haley, Hoffman, Minuchin, Selvini-Palazzoli), feminist practice (Walker, Davis); the ecological/ ecosystems social work perspective (Miller, Germain), family network theory (Rueveni, Speck & Attneava). Numerous interventions, practice models or frameworks can be used for this assignment. For example, psychosocial education (Goldstein, Sullivan), functionalist (Robinson & Taft), family therapy (Hartman, Pinderhuges, Laird), feminist practice (Davis, Dominelli), problem-solving (Perlman), cognitive-behavioral (Nurius & Berlin, Granvold), brief task-centered (Epstein, Taylor-Fanger), ethnic-sensitive perspective (Devore & Schlesinger), cultural competence (Lum, Garcia), crisis intervention (Ell, Golan), ecological perspective-life mode (Germain & Gitterman), generalist (Landon, Allen-Meares), empirically-based practice (Briar, Fischer, Hudson, Reid & Epstein), eclectic-holistic (Shulman, Whitaker & Tracy), empowerment practice (Gutierrez, Pinderhughes).
The intervention to be tested using Single Client/System Designs could also be holistic in that it may include multiple perspectives or a perspective supplemented with the cultural competent practice, ethnic-sensitive practice, human diversity, feminist practice model(s), etc..
2. Identify and provide a brief (up to one page) profile of the client that you plan to apply the intervention with and briefly describe the agency or organizational setting where the intervention will be applied. The client profile should include the clientas demographics, condition or problem, and identify at least three indicators that you plan to target with the intervention: for example, symptoms of depression including suicidal ideation, weight gain, crying spells; symptoms of anxiety including rapid heart-beat, headaches, phobia; drug use by frequency and its effect on social relations, the marriage, occupation, health; clientas problem in problem-solving and use of resources including inability to meet basic needs such as nutrition, housing, health care, safety; academic achievement as evident by grades, absenteeism, disciplinary referrals; employee performance as evident by timely completion of tasks and productivity, disciplinary actions, overall quality of work performance, etc.
3. Describe the research design in relation to the client that you plan to test the intervention on. Report its advantages or weakness as reported in the literature; for example, AB, ABA, ABCA, ABCDA, etc. Cite the course text on Single-Case-Designs and/or other literature on single client/systems methods to support the research design that you plan to use in evaluating the intervention.
4. Data Analysis & Limitation to the Study:
a. Graph the intervention points by Baseline, Intervention, and Follow-up phases as it relates to at least three indicators of a condition or problem; for example, symptoms of depression, anxiety, drug use, medication non-compliance, lack of resources, other needs such as limited capacity of the client to problem-solve her/his needs, etc.
b. from the graphing of the data present the outcome of the intervention based on the analytical procedures reported in the text and those discussed in lectures. For example, describe the outcome of the intervention using:
(1) trend analysis (visual inspection of the data presented on the graphs; and
(2) the 2-Standard dev-test) to answer and support the extent to which the intervention was effective and how was its effectiveness determined.
To address the limitations to the study answer the following: What are the limitations in terms of threats to validity, sample size, the type of SCD design used to test the intervention? What modifications would you make to the intervention and/or the research design, if necessary, to improve its effectiveness and/or testing of the intervention?
5. Individual feedback with respect to the assignment:
Provide a statement, individually, describing your learning experience with the assignment. You may include your opinion about your partner and the extent to which you and your partner coordinated the tasks in completing the assignment. You may also include in your statement problems and/or issues you may have had with your partner in completing the assignment.
6. Bibliography: (use 5 – 7 references)
Must use the following as a reference
Rubin, A., & Babbie, E. (2013). essential research methods for social work (3rd ed.). Belmont, CA: Brooks/Cole Cengage Learning.
Regent Papers is a library of common essays on high school, college, undergraduate and postgraduate topics. We have collected top papers from various institution, students and professors. The papers are based on common essay topics in all subjects.
2922 Oak Grove Drive La Cañada Flintridge, CA 91521.
+2 54723059803 (text only-sms)