Master of Education in School Counseling- Child and Adolescent Counseling in the Schools-Benchmark Final
Component #1: Developmental Considerations in Counseling
1) When using interventions with children and adolescents, the developmental level of the client is an important consideration. Discuss the effect of developmental levels on both the choice of intervention and the potential effectiveness of an intervention.
2) What would a developmentally savvy counselor need to take into consideration when planning assessment and interventions for those in mid-adolescence?
3) How might a counselor explain what “counseling” is to a low-ability 14 year old boy? To a gifted 10-year-old? To a high school senior with average intellectual ability?
Component #2: Individual Counseling Process
1) Discuss the stages of the counseling process when working with hypothetical client Nancy, a 12-year-old adolescent who was recently adopted from the foster care system and is having difficulties with her new younger siblings.
2) Discuss the construct “resistance” in terms of:
How can it be conceptualized?
What might contribute to it?
How might it be reframed as something positive?
What are some appropriate counseling responses to it, including strategies for working with it?
3) Discuss termination issues related to counseling children and adolescents, citing at least six strategies that can potentially help both counselor and client to end the counseling relationship appropriately.
Component #3: Ethical and Multicultural Considerations
1) What are the legal and ethical concerns when working with a minor who was referred for counseling by his or her teacher? Specifically cite applicable ASCA and AACC ethical standards.
2) What theoretical orientation(s) will you primarily use when counseling students and why? Identify how you considered culture in your theoretical orientation choices.
3) How would you approach issues of worldview and faith in your counseling sessions with a student in a secular counseling school setting?
4) Create an “informed consent” document to use with students and attach the sample form to this component.
5) Use at least one article identified in this course to support your actions with regard to addressing spirituality and other multicultural issues.
Component #4: Brief Counseling
1) Describe the eight characteristics of brief counseling.
2) Give an example of each characteristic.
3) Brief counseling is simply a tool for helping people. Under what circumstances is brief counseling an appropriate tool? An inappropriate tool?
4) How does the brief counseling model differ from a psychodynamic (humanistic, Adlerian) approach?
Component #6 Counseling At-Risk Children/Adolescents
1) Using McWhirter and colleagues’ (2007) framework for prevention and intervention, discuss the types of interventions you would utilize and structures you would want to have in place to work with the following problems faced by children and adolescents at risk:
Suicidal children and adolescents
Substance abuse & addiction
Depressive disorders in children and adolescents
2) When would you have to breach confidentiality and what obligations do you have to your young client with regard to privacy?
3) When is a referral to outside resources warranted?
***The 3 sources must be peer-reviewed scholarly journal articles about school counseling and must be referenced in the writing***
Place your order now for a similar paper and have exceptional work written by our team of experts to guarantee you A Results
Why Choose US
6+ years experience on custom writing
80% Return Client
Urgent 2 Hrs Delivery
Your Privacy Guaranteed
Unlimited Free Revisions